MohammedArif Bhairakadar

TLS Padding Oracle Vulnerability (Zombie POODLE and GOLDENDOODLE) issue

Discussion created by MohammedArif Bhairakadar on Nov 28, 2019

Hi,

I got vulnerability "TLS Padding Oracle Vulnerability (Zombie POODLE and GOLDENDOODLE)" ona scan I ran on 25th October 2019

QID: 38764
Category: General remote services
CVE ID: CVE-2019-1559
Vendor Reference: Zombie POODLE and GOLDENDOODLE
Bugtraq ID: 107174
Service Modified: 04/24/2019
User Modified: -
Edited: No
PCI Vuln: Yes
THREAT:
A TLS padding oracle vulnerability is detected.
If an application encounters a fatal protocol error and then calls SSL_shutdown() twice (once to send a close_notify, and once to receive one) then
OpenSSL can respond differently to the calling application if a 0 byte record is received with invalid padding compared to if a 0 byte record is
received with an invalid MAC. If the application then behaves differently based on that in a way
that is detectable to the remote peer, then this amounts to a padding oracle that could be used to decrypt data.
QID Detection Logic:
This QID sends the multiple tls padding payloads to determine the vulnerability.
Note: Qualys scanner version 11.1.24-1 or later is required to use this QID.
IMPACT:
An attacker who can take a man-in-the-middle (MitM) position can exploit this vulnerability and gain access to encrypted communication between a
client and server.
SOLUTION:
Please refer to official github page TLS Padding Oracles (https://github.com/RUB-NDS/TLS-Padding-Oracles) for affected products and patch links.
Patch:
Following are links for downloading patches to fix the vulnerabilities:
Scan Results page 15
OpenSSL Security Advisory: OpenSSL (https://www.openssl.org/news/secadv/20190226.txt)
COMPLIANCE:
Not Applicable
EXPLOITABILITY:
There is no exploitability information for this vulnerability.
ASSOCIATED MALWARE:
There is no malware information for this vulnerability.
RESULTS:
Zombie POODLE vulnerability found with ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384 on TLSv1.2
The server responds differently to invalid padding with a valid MAC than to other types of invalid padding or MAC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I scanned it again after adding soem cipher related fixes but as per above solution, we are supposed to patch openssl as part of fix for this vulnerability, but I didnt patch openssl package but still can't see in reports for this month.

Can anybody let me know what is the fix for above vulnerability ?

Outcomes