API Response Time - Information Needed When Reporting an Issue - Details Within
Over the last several days Qualys has been investigating reports of degraded response time on US01 API (https://qualysapi.qualys.com/). As of the writing of this post (2019-07-25) the issues have been addressed, but I think it's important to cover the information needed from our customer(s) when you are reporting an API issue:
If you are noticing a slow response time, I recommend gathering the following information:
- Which Qualys application module are you attempting to query with API (VM, PC, WAS, etc)?
- Which platform are you accessing?Identify your Qualys Platform
- Check Qualys, Inc. Status to determine if there are any known issues or maintenance on your platform.
- If there are no issues reporting on our status page, please Contact Support - Technical Assistance Inquiry Form | Qualys, Inc and do your level best to include:
- What is the API call you are trying to process?
- Is this a new or existing API call?
- If it's an existing API call, are you able to provide runtime samples from that last several weeks?
- If it's a new API call, is it modelled after an existing call? If no, you may wish to validate your command syntax. Documentation | Qualys, Inc.
- Capturing and sharing your API log files is beneficial as well. Here's why:
- Logs files showing when the API call was made and when the response was received points us in a specific direction,
- Log files give a clear picture of the time taken to process the API call, and,
- Log files can show if/how many keep-alive messages are sent to maintain the connection while waiting for a response.
- If you are attempting to download a report:
- When was the report created?
- What is the size of the report?
- What is the report output format?
- Are you able to provide the specific report ID?
- The report ID can be found easily in the UI by reviewing the information for the report. When the information window opens, the ID is URL at the top of the window, as highlighted in the second image.
Related Post: Download Saved Report API bandwidth limited?
Document contributors DMFezzaReed and jbrown